Exploding Heart - Artist Statement

The dichotomy between physical biology and consciousness in our human experience fascinates me. The heart is an organ that circulates blood through the body yet is also used as a metaphor for emotion and feeling. I think of the vital action of my own heart pumping while working out the emotional tension that makes me alive. Organic-like forms and exploding vibrant colors with blood red at their core are juxtaposed with lines inspired by wood grain. Making lines became a meditative practice and yet was also a restless, maddening process as I grew obsessed with filling empty spaces. The color explosions are an outpouring of emotional and orgasmic energy referencing mortality and impermanence.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Exploding Heart" Installation Photos


"Exploding Heart" on view at Soho20 Chelsea Gallery through April 24, 2010.